History of EEI Uniport
Emerald Energy Institute (EEI) for Petroleum and Energy Economics, Policy and Strategic Studies, University of Port Harcourt, is an Institute for graduate education in petroleum and energy economics, management & policy.
The Senate of the University of Port Harcourt in 2008 established the Emerald Energy Centre for Petroleum Economics, Policy & Strategic Studies. Considering that the entire energy sector has strategic importance beyond petroleum, the change in emphasis was subsequently effected in the name as Emerald Energy Institute of Energy Economics, Policy and Strategic Studies.
The Institute was designed as an international collaborative graduate school producing high-level manpower to manage energy (especially petroleum); conduct joint and applied research, develop government policy inputs and provide strategic input on international energy geo-politics.
Welcome Address By EEI UniPort Director
The core objective of the institute is to produce highly innovative and motivated graduates equipped with sharpened competences, technical expertise, multi-disciplinary skills, soft-skills, as well as communication and team skills for optimum productivity.
The institute aims to develop petroleum and energy professionals with capabilities to:
– Extract oil and gas resources efficiently, effectively, ethically, and equitably.
– Formulate and implement energy policies and regulations.
– Manage effectively the natural resources of Nigeria and sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
– Manage the power sector and its agencies.
– Provide a forum for energy professionals in government, academia and the industry (the triple helix model).
Facts about EEI
EEI has the approval of the University Senate to offer the following degree programmes in Energy & Petroleum Economics, Management and Policy:
– PGD in Petroleum and Energy Economics
– M.Sc Petroleum Economics, Management and Policy.
– M.Sc. Energy Economics, Management and Policy.
– M.Sc. Petroleum Business Management
– M.Sc. Energy Business Management
– Professional Master of Petroleum Economics
– Professional Master of Energy Economics
– Ph.D Petroleum Economics
– Ph.D Energy Economics